Illustrations in electronic publications and paper editions

Subject: Illustrations in electronic publications and paper editions
From: Solena -dot- LEMOIGNE -at- fr -dot- thalesgroup -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:06:16 +0200

Listmembers,

It's my first time in a real-scale electronic publication, and I've come up
with a question that none of my fellow workers could answer. I searched both
list archives and web but with no satisfying results. Could you spare the
time to help me out ?

The global idea of SGML (in my case) and XML thingies is to produce both
electronic publications and paper editions from the same collection of files
(so far, so good). The norm we use here requires .jpeg at 300 dpi and .cgm
files for the illustrations.
When we generate a HTML output from our files, the .jpegs blow the whole
thing up. We have normal text, and then the corner of a HUGE PICTURE way too
big to display on the screen.
"Of course, I thought, my monitor resolution is at 81 dpi. There is no way
that the 2106x826 pixels .jpeg image of a big truck at 300 dpi would fit on
it." I then thought I'd have to change the image output resolution so that
the image would fit on the allocated space on the screen, just like I do for
website galleries. Oh, wait a minute, if I change the resolution, the
pictures in the paper edition won't look good anymore. Uh-oh.

Can it be done that the same image is used both in the electronic
publication and the paper edition ? Do I have to keep two different files of
the same image, each having its own link depending on its designed ouput ?
Do I have to keep only the good-quality image and batch-process the
resolution change during the publication ?

People who have the answer will already have identified where I missed a few
beats. Honestly, I feel like that I missed a bit of information somewhere,
but can't decide when and where. I suspect that I won't be the first one to
ask myself such a question, and that the answers will probably be useful to
other people who haven't done such work yet.

Answers, helps, tips and tricks sent both offline and to the list will be
summarised and published in the next few days.

Solena Le Moigne
Rédactrice technique - Cholet
Thales communications
solena.lemoigne[at]fr.thalesgroup.com
"In every old person there is a young
one wondering what happened."
Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com