Re: Best practices for distributing custom templates?

Subject: Re: Best practices for distributing custom templates?
From: "Conner, Stuart" <sconner -at- ndsuk -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:25:27 +0100

Amelia,

The solution I implemented is as follows (this assumes that all the users
are networked):

(1) Install the template locally. (If you have all users using a workgroup
template stored centrally on a network drive, the file will be 'locked'
when anyone is using it, making it difficult for you to update it [or copy
a new version over it].)

(2) Store a copy of the template on a network drive somewhere where
everyone has (read) access to it.

(3) Write a small VB application to do the following. Install this app in
the users' Windows Startup folder. (i) Can I see the required network
drive? Exit if not. (ii) Compare the file date/time of the local template
with the template on the network. If network copy is newer, copy it over
the local copy.

For our organisation, I wrote a single VB app to install the templates
'package' and to install itself in the Windows Startup folder to check for
updates. Works well. The 'package' we install is actually quite a large
collection of different templates, macros and documentation, so I use the
date/time of an empty "Templates Version.txt" file as an indicator as to
whether to update the files: I open and save this file to update its
date/time whenever any files in the package are updated, and the whole lot
then gets re-installed. We generally only have to do this once a year or
so.

Stuart Conner
Southampton

Information contained in this email message is intended only for
use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please immediately notify us by email
to postmaster -at- ndsuk -dot- com and destroy the original message.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com