RE: How to promote a Web site?

Subject: RE: How to promote a Web site?
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- capulet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:57:04 -0800

> From: bounce-techwr-l-149771 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
> [mailto:bounce-techwr-l-149771 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com] On Behalf
> Of kelley -at- pulpculture -dot- org
>
> And this is how Darren has managed to get ranked pretty high
> on Google. He
> posts to the list with a link to his site.

Well, that's not the only method, but it certainly helps.

A site like
> _very_ frequently and, as such, links posted to the list ride on the
> coat-tails of the site's established reputation with Google's
> spiders. :)
> That is, it looks like Techwhirl "thinks highly" of Darren's
> site since it
> links to it so frequently.... Eric doesn't do this on
> purpose, of course. :)

Keep in mind, however, that Google also factors the popularity of the
linking page into the equation. So, Google thinks far more highly of a
link from http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/index.php3 than it does from
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0401/techwhirl-0401-00196.html
. Google links that there are 552 links to the former, while there's
only one (soon to be two) to the latter (and both of those links will be
from within the same site, so they're of little use).

> So, another way to promote your site is this sort of sweat equity.
> Personally participate in discussion lists and boards that
> are publicly
> archived, always sign off with your Web site address, and
> *voila* you'll
> start getting spidered.

Geeks such as myself tend to forget the meatspace marketing strategy:
tell other people about your site. That's really a more important
benefit of the URL in my email signature. 1 in X people actually clicks
it and goes to my site. 1 in Y of those people like what they see, and
return regularly. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Words. Words. Words.
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com