RE: Quark compatibility question

Subject: RE: Quark compatibility question
From: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:07:09 -0800 (PST)

Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

>Last time I had this as an issue was in Quark 4 and 5,
>so this may be differnet in the newest versions, but
>the only problem I had moving files back and forth was
>with "dingbat" type symbols like bullets. They often
>changed from one style to the other when going across
>the platforms. But as long as you didn't fuss with them,
>they changed back when you returned to the original
>platform. If you're not in a 2-way exchange situation,
>this shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't transferred Quark files between OSes so I can't
be sure, but there's a good change that that's a fonts issue
more than a Quark issue and would happen with any doc.
There are often font issues between Mac and PC.

1. Macs use Zapf Dingbats and Windows has Wingdings/
Webdings, and they don't map exactly.

2. Macs and Windows fonts use different character codes.
Evil, evil, evil.

Rachael

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com