Recommendation for a usage book for a journalism student

Subject: Recommendation for a usage book for a journalism student
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:39:20 -0500

I know there are some veteran journalists on the list. My son the freshman, who is the copy editor of his small college newspaper, asks:

-------------------------------

Dad,

I am applying for Copy Manager for next year. I am almost certain I will get the position. I'd like to do it well, and I'd like to get myself in better shape for the Dow Jones Test in a year or two. I have The Elements of Style and I've read it a few times. I have the AP Stylebook and the AP Guide to Newswriting, both of which I've read partially. I own and have read William Zinsser's On Writing Well, and I own the Chicago Style Manual, which I have yet to crack.

I don't know if you've taken the Dow Jones Test, but you probably took something similar. It is a one hour test with a multiple choice usage section, a fill-in-the-blanks current events section, and two stories to edit and head.

What usage book would you recommend, if any? I'm in favor of prescriptivism.

So, any suggestions for him?

Thanks,

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com