RE: How to promote a Web site?

Subject: RE: How to promote a Web site?
From: "Michelle Lentz Gerl" <michelle -at- write-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:41:10 -0500

Steve:
I have listed my web site with all the major search engines, as well as done
the meta tag thing. Right now, if I google my site, it only pops up under
my actual name, not even my company name. Frustrating, as I’m trying to
drive business to my site. So I called on the expertise of one of my
friends, who specializes in online marketing.

He is submitting my site via Google Adwords
(https://adwords.google.com/select/). I believe Google sources AOL and a few
other search engines. If you head there, there’s an entertaining and vaguely
informative Quick Tour. It’s really easy to use Adwords; the hard part is
trying to come up with the right phrases on which to bid. That’s where my
marketing friend comes into play. He says I can drive up to 300 hits a
month to my site (whether they buy or not is another question) just by using
$50/month at Adwords. So we’ll see. I should have my “campaign” running by
the end of this week. It all depends on bidding on the correct phrases. The
good news is that even if you don't get it right the first time, you can
always bid on different phrases until you start getting traffic.

My marketing friend has also suggested going to http://www.overture.com and
using their tool. Overture sources Yahoo and the search engines that Google
does not. If you dig deep enough, you discover this tool that allows you to
search on keywords or phrases. The tool will then return any matches, plus
information on how often those words have been searched upon in the last XX
amount of time. Try http://www.content.overture.com/d/USm/ays/ and then use
the block at the bottom (How many searches ... ?) Overture offers more
complexity than AdWords, but provides the same results (and the nifty tool).

I’ve been to several seminars about “Marketing on a Shoestring Budget.” They
all recommend overture.com and Google Adwords. Somewhere I have a flyer that
shows that Google services more search engines by about 5%, but it's not
much.

Good luck!

Michelle
Write Technology
http://www.write-tech.com

Subject: How to promote a Web site?
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:40:02 -0500

Within the next few days I will be posting a dramatically altered and
updated Web site for my business, Oppenheimer Communications, which
provides technical writing services. I'd like to ensure that when people
search for writers, technical writers, or technical communicators on the
Web, my site shows up prominently near the top of the listings.

I went to Yahoo to check out their paid offerings for increased Web site
visibility, and it's one of those cases of too many options -- I can't make
heads or tails of what is what. All I want is to spend no more than a
couple of hundred dollars, on a one-time basis, to increase my Web site
visibility. I want things so that when people do a search on Google or
Yahoo for technical writers, there is a reasonable chance my company shows
up near the top of the listing. (The question is, what can I do by way of
paid fees to achieve this; I've already optimized the pages in terms of
keywords, links, and such.) Can anyone who has been there/done that walk
me through the process, and tell me what options/services/features I'm
looking for?
Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O.

Steven Oppenheimer
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: Making The Complex Accessible
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com