RoboHTML: importing from RoboHelp?

Subject: RoboHTML: importing from RoboHelp?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:35:43 -0500

Last week, I reported that I'll soon begin migrating a few help projects that already exist in WinHelp form (created in RoboHelp 9.x) into HTML Help. One important criterion is that we want to work as much as possible in Word because that's my client's word processor of choice and because Word lets us handle review and revision quite elegantly using revision tracking. I asked for opinions and advice, and promised to summarize. Here's what I found:

The RoboHelp docs claim that it's easy to import an existing WinHelp project (created and maintained in Word plus RoboHelp) into RoboHTML, minus whatever features (e.g., nonscrolling regions) aren't supported in HTML Help. This does indeed work, but is likely to require significant amounts of cleanup in RoboHTML; the amount of additional work is likely be manageable given the relatively small scope of my project, but would become prohibitively time-consuming for larger projects.

WebWorks Publisher for Word is probably the ideal solution because it maintains all source material in Word, thereby facilitating review and revision. That may not be an option, though, both because of the cost and because we already own a RoboHelp/HTML license. Moreover, it's apparently a bit slow on older hardware because of the way it updates the project by scanning external material for changes. Again, probably not a big deal for small projects such as the one I'll be creating.

Thanks to all who provided advice and suggestions. (If I didn't thank you personally, it means that your message never arrived. Try again at my alternate e-mail address (see below).

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com