RoboHTML: importing from RoboHelp?

Subject: RoboHTML: importing from RoboHelp?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:09:25 -0500

In the next few weeks, I'll begin migrating a few help projects that already exist in WinHelp form (created in RoboHelp 9.x) into HTML Help. According to the RoboHelp docs, it's supposed to be quite easy to import an existing WinHelp project into RoboHTML, though with obvious caveats (e.g., some features such as nonscrolling regions aren't supported in HTML Help, and thus won't import). Before you ask: Yes, WebWorks Publisher for Word is definitely being discussed. But I want to compare that with our current system, which is based on RoboHelp.

Here's the million-dollar question: Is this as easy as it seems from the documentation? I do expect to have to do some cleanup and proofreading in RoboHTML, but it would be great if I can create a workflow much like the following:
1. Generate WinHelp .HLP files using Word/RoboHelp Classic, keeping in mind the need to avoid features that won't work in HTML Help. (This lets me provide WinHelp to customers who prefer it, such as those who aren't willing or able to run ActiveX controls in their workplace.)
2. Import the WinHelp project into RoboHTML and generate HTML Help (.CHM files).
3. Clean up the HTML (as required) in RoboHTML.

One less obvious question: Will inline graphics work in HTML Help? For example, if I have an instruction that says "Click the [button] repeatedly if you're feeling in need of a good clicking", will the graphic still appear in midsentence in HTML Help? Or do I need to develop a workaround for such instructions.

Thanks in advance! I'll summarize to techwr-l once the responses start tapering off.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com