RE: painting attics

Subject: RE: painting attics
From: "Martinek, Carla M" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:59:23 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: M Page [mailto:mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk]

Wouldn't insurance and liability have been an issue for a
contracting
techwriter up a ladder with a can of paint?

I'm not just thinking about if you hurt yourself: What if you
accidentally
trashed the carpet? Or injured a co-worker by dropping the full can
of paint
on their head?

I would think that should be covered under the ubiquitous
"...and other duties as directed..."
in the job description. :-)

Way back when, working at McDonald's in college, I volunteered to work a
double shift on a 90-plus degree day. I worked the morning-lunch shift, and
then ended up in the attic helping install new insulation after a leak
repair. An attic in 90-degree heat in summer is *not* the best place to be.
I debated whether the double-time they were paying me was really worth it.

And, once when a department I was in was eliminated (I was full-time),
instead of cutting me loose, I was shifted over to the IS department for a
couple months to assist in the swap-out of over 500 laptops for the sales
force. I spent my days downloading files off the old and transferring them
to the new. Then, I got to help inventory the old laptops before they were
sent back to IBM, and figure out what peripherals, drives, memory, etc. were
missing. Not your typical tech writer functions.

*************************
Carla Martinek
cmartinek *at* zebra *dot* com

- CONFIDENTIAL -
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete
this email.

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com