RE: flashpoint of the week: editors and writers egos

Subject: RE: flashpoint of the week: editors and writers egos
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:48:13 -0800 (PST)

Ask me about my most recent "editor experience"
sometime. In short, there are good tech writers and
bad ones, just as there are good and bad editors.

You (the original poster) need to figure out if you
really want to change things or just suck it up. If
you want to change things, prepare for a pitched
battle and make sure your boss and his are willing to
support your professional judgement. (I.e., the king
of the hill crap sucks.) I feel your frustration,
maybe with support from your bosses, you might make
this work via a style guide approach.

As for red pens, why not? Really, if markup in red
makes you cry, get another job. Or, pretend you're
colorblind and persuade yourself it's really green, or
something. Seriously, get over the red pen thang.

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

http://mail.yahoo.com

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com