Re: "DO NOT COOK"?

Subject: Re: "DO NOT COOK"?
From: Scott Browne <sbbish -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:52:41 -0800 (PST)

--- "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> My college roomate once made tuna sandwiches by dumping the tuna
> straight out of the can onto the bread, because the can said
> "Ready to eat." Even he recognized something was wrong with the
> sandwiches.

My college roommate once asked me how to make toast. He was a
triple-major - Math, Chemistry, and Biology - and had a 4.0 average at
the time. I told him he was smart and could figure it out. A few
minutes later, he turned around and showed me 2 buttered pieces of
plain bread and then asked, "So I just put them in the toaster?" I told
him he couldn't do that with the butter on it and he replied, "But I
like butter on my toast."

TW tie-in: You can't plan for every contingency. The user (no matter
how smart) can still come up with something you didn't plan for. I
seriously doubt there was anything in the toaster manual that spoke
against putting buttered bread in the toaster. The manufacturer assumes
people will read the directions before cooking something. And if they
can't find the directions, they don't usually try directions from a
different product.

Scott

http://search.yahoo.com

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com