RE: Future Tense Controversy

Subject: RE: Future Tense Controversy
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:34:31 -0800

Well, if you're describing policies and procedures, you're describing things
that should be happening now, and therefore it makes sense to write them in
present tense. It's not so much that it's technical writing, but that you
are describing what IS, and not what will be. My question when I read
something in future tense is, "so is this not happening now?" If the lawyers
want to provoke that sort of question, well, they should understand that
it's going to raise a lot of questions.

Putting it in future tense won't make it passive (unless you try).

I'm sure this is frustrating. This may be a legacy from their training in
legal writing. (I seem to recall a lot of future tense in contracts and
such).

You could also present it as a matter of cost. How much will it cost to go
back and rewrite everything in the future tense? (Note the appropriate use
of future tense!) Or is this just a change from this point forward?

<shrug> I dunno. Seems like they'd have better things to do. Is your
management helping you with this or did they leave it to you?

Lisa