Re: Offshoring brouhaha

Subject: Re: Offshoring brouhaha
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:39:26 -0600

At 4:05 AM -0800 3/11/04, a pradeep wrote:

An interesting article from OP-ED COLUMNIST of NY
Times THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN titled The Great Indian Dream

Published: March 11, 2004
I quote the conclusion:

The Americans' self-image that this tech thing was
their private preserve is over. This is a wake-up call
for U.S. workers to redouble their efforts at
education and research. If they do that, he said, it
will spur "a whole new cycle of innovation, and we'll
both win. If we each pull down our shutters, we will
both lose."
Don't you agree?

Regards,
Pradeep A

I would agree for the future of U.S. jobs. What is wrong with the educational level of the current workforce? What suddenly made us dumber?

News flash! There are people in the U.S. Telecom industry that have found that they can keep their jobs! They just have to work twice as hard (meaning that they are actually being twice as productive) al the while maintaining elevated performance standards.

In other words, yeah you can keep your job. It's just that you get paid a weeks salary for two weeks work.

As for research, what new research breakthroughs are suddenly being made? Where? Or is the real item that offshore movement of jobs produces is a higher profit for the company. This higher profit has not yet been seen to be a long term thing.

Of course, for consumers, there doesn't seem to be any lowering of final product costs. Just additional profit to the company. Not bad if your major market target is not the same population that you are making unemployed.

The cause for offshore movement of jobs is not the educational level of U.S. workers. Nor is it the lack of research capability or creativity of U.S. workers. The movement is being caused by managment realizing that there is a pool of workers offshore whose compensation requirements are about 1/2 to 1/4 of the U.S. worker.

Scott

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!
New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com