Re: Don't believe the offshore hype?

Subject: Re: Don't believe the offshore hype?
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:07:24 -0600

Richard G. Combs wrote:
"Of course, in the short run, some people benefit immediately (people
working -- or applying for jobs -- at Compaq, which sold a few thousand
computers to the 24/7 call center), while others are temporarily hurt
(the laid-off US call center workers). Do we stop or slow economic
progress, making us all poorer, in order to avert or ease the temporary
pain of a few?"

I feel compelled to point out that if those call center jobs had stayed
in the US, Compaq could have just as easily sold a few thousand
computers to US call centers. Each call center worker needs a PC in
front of them, whether they're overseas or in the US. (If the US call
centers already have PCs, perhaps they need an upgrade. Or maybe a new
cut-rate call center opens up in the US and needs PCs.) This seems a
poor example of a "benefit" of offshoring...

My weekend starts in approximately four hours, and I'm on digest; so I'm
going to just lob this thought into the discussion and sign off.

Christine

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com