RE: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation

Subject: RE: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Wade Courtney" <courtney -at- hsq -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:38:42 -0500

I prefer to think along the lines of "Define what 'Doing your job well' means."

Preface...I'm not referring to anyone in particular...but you know who you are.

To me...doing your job well doesn't mean that if you aren't screwing up, you're doing your job well, or doing what they tell you to do is doing your job well. That's simply doing your job to keep your job.

Doing your job well is to all the time, every day, with everything you do or everything you touch, look for a better/cheaper/faster/more competitive way of doing it...something that impacts the bottom line.

I may be naïve, but I need to believe that if you do this consistently (and not just before review time), a company MUST recognize you because if you don't, they don't just loose you, they loose the possibility of future bottom-line impacts.

>lone writer and the sr. technical writer,
>what is there to be promoted to?

Manager of the Documentation Department (of 1), though with more money.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com