Promotion (was RE: IT documentation

Subject: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation
To: 'Dick Margulis' <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:36:12 -0500

Dick Margulis [mailto:margulis -at- fiam -dot- net] offered:
> John Posada wrote:

> > If your job is to create comprehensive documentation, then
> if you do it
> > well, you are doing your job well and isn't that what some
> promotions
> > are for?
> No, it has not been my experience that people get promoted for doing
> their jobs well. I no longer imagine the existence of a corporation
> where such a system can succeed for long; it is entirely inconsistent
> with the logic of corporate hierarchies. Didn't we just have this
> conversation, John?

Maybe my situation is unique, but I wonder.

According to my yearly evaluations and according to
other, independent sources, I've been doing my job
well for the 5-1/2 years I've been here, and it
hasn't gotten me promoted (the bursting of the DOT-bomb
tech bubble didn't help). Nor is doing my job well likely
to get me more than continued employment in my current
job, now that we've been bought by a company that prefers
to consolidate corporate management functions in the USA.

That is, if they do decide to create a corporate
documentation manager position, it would be in Maryland.
So even if I was offered, I couldn't accept (unless the
offer was truly spectacular).
Based on what other people have been offered, the salary would
be quite nice, but would not be enough to offset either:

a) an unemployed and unemployable wife (without green card)
moving with me or

b) maintaining a home and vehicles in each country so that
my wife could remain employed up here (Ottawa, Canada)

Besides, if I moved and then another corporate shuffle
made me "redundant", I'd be stuck in the US with no work
visa, and probably no home or job to come back to in Canada.
That's the sort of thing you chance when you're 25, not 50.
Eats up the old savings really quickly.

On the other hand, I could get promoted here if I were to
take on somebody ELSE's job. That's how most promotions
have happened around here, and it makes sense. But, since
I enjoy what I do and am not attracted to the other areas
where I could make a splash, I'm content to do what I do
(while keeping an eye on the ads and the grapevine, of course...).

/kevin