Re: Quiet workplace?

Subject: Re: Quiet workplace?
From: "Ned Bedinger" <ned -dot- b -at- charter -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:36:41 -0800

----- Original Message -----

> My experience is that mechanical noise is a constant pressure
> that has real physical effects.

You, my friend, need biofeedback training, meditation, and/or chair massage
(not necessarily in that order). All of it could be deductible at (IRS)
income tax time in the US, if you can get your doctor to prescribe it. A
reasonable doc will take your word that you need it.

I've seen a report on brain wave studies that revealed the wave form of a
concentrating brain to be a 60 Hz sine wave.
Some studies claim to be able to induce concentration by pumping a 60Hz sine
wave (like an electrical hum) into the work environment.

If this is true (I am open to suggestion), then imagine what noisy central
heat/air conditioning in the workplace will do to concentration. Tension,
stress, concentration-canceling? It can't be good for office morale to
have a steady drain on everyone's resources; who's going to be happy having
work extra-hard just to get the results of a reasonable sustained effort.

Unfortunately, mechanical noise complaints are often dismissed by simply
putting a decibel meter in the workplace and showing that noise levels don't
exceed OSHA limits. An employer who does that kind of end-run on employees
also isn't likely to accept "productivity" as a reason to make improvements.

hmmmph.

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com