RE: Should a glossary be indexed?

Subject: RE: Should a glossary be indexed?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 01 Mar 2004 20:33:00 GMT

I think it depends on usage. If your glossary is a
boilerplate section that contains terminology that may
not actually be used in the rest of the document, I
would not index it because it might mislead a reader
looking for the term into thinking there's user info
to be found in the text. But if the glossary is
document-specific, then I'd probably index it, but ID
the glossary in the index (i.e., "see glossary" or similar)
so that the reader would be able to distinguish between
the definition in the glossary and the actual use
instructions in the text (please tell me you're not
defining terms both in the document text and in a
glossary in the same document).

Gene Kim-Eng