Re: Common Errors in English

Subject: Re: Common Errors in English
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:45:21 -0800

Neither

I have
-------- experience.
9 year's

or

I have
------- of experience.
9 years

is correct.

"Over" is *supposed* to refer to physical relationships, not quantitative
ones.

Can you teach your co-worker to use "I have more than..."?

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

"John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com> wrote in message news:230287 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

Speaking of English errors...

Someone came from across the hall and asked about this use of the
possessive.

"I have over 9 year's experience."
"I have over 9 years of experience."

I say no possessive in either. He says yes to the first one.