Re: Converting American English to British English

Subject: Re: Converting American English to British English
From: "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:49:48 -0800

I posted this question but am on digest and haven't had a chance to read the
digest for
a couple of days. The documents are technical documents in HTML and it was
recommended that I
send them out to a translation company to be localized into British English.
I was looking
for a way to save time and money, since I'm not convinced it's necessary to
send them out.
I can use Word to do a spell check, but I was curious
if there was something else I could use that was automated.

There aren't any life-and-death matters in these documents, and probably not
much that
is cultural...

Krista

Krista Van Laan
Director of Technical Communications, Security Services
VeriSign, Inc. http://www.verisign.com
487 E. Middlefield Road Mountain View, CA 94043
tel: (650) 426-5158 fax: (650) 426-5195

Michael West wrote:

David Neeley wrote:

> > Best practices for localization or translation should always include a
> > person whose primary language and cultural experience is of native
> > familiarity. No list of differences can be exhaustive, and as you know
> > technical docs are often very specialized and beyond the ken of the
> > lists such as you have alluded to.
>
> We don't know what sort of documents we're talking
> about -- which is why I put the question to the original poster. If we're
talking about ordinary Windows software
> applications, for example, the same vocabulary applies in England and the
US.

> British English is not a foreign language (the opinions of
> some Brits to the contrary notwithstanding.
>
> I agree, as I wrote, with the wisdom of using a human
> editor for cultural issues, or for health and safety issues. But unless
we're telepathetic, we don't know whether > such issues are involved in this
case -- which, again, is why I asked the question.