Re: Using Fictional Companies and Case Studies

Subject: Re: Using Fictional Companies and Case Studies
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Darren Barefoot <darren -at- capulet -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:52:13 -0500

Darren Barefoot wrote:

Hi,
I'm writing a whitepaper for a client, and including a fictional case
study. Basically, it describes the problem this invented company (we'll
call it 'Acme') has, and how my client's product solves that problem.
We want to indicate that this is a fictional company, but I'm unsure of
the wording. This is what I currently have, which is pretty lame:

"Acme (a fictional company) sells large roadrunner-killing anvils..."

Does anybody have a better suggestion? I should clarify that I am not
using the name Acme, as that's trademarked. Cheers. DB.

Darren,

The traditional way to handle this is to use _real_ data from a _real_ company and then disguise the name blatantly, as "the ABC Company [fictional name]," where the bracketed phrase is included only on the first use.

There doesn't seem to be much point to making up fictional data for a fictional company. That doesn't really qualify as a case study.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]