Re: "If the docs are too good..."

Subject: Re: "If the docs are too good..."
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:57:30 -0700

Thanks to everyone who offered words of wit and wisdom when presented with
my request for a snappy comeback to "if the docs are too good, no-one will
buy the training." Several of you offered well-reasoned, sensible
developers, however, seem to prefer the sparkling smile with a snapping
whip approach, so for them I bust out the snap, crackle and pop, and hence
the need for a snappy reply. And so, on to the replies that were, like the
best sticks, both short and pointed.

While honourable mention goes to Chuck "And your point is?" Martin, and
Mike O for his flawless logic:

Well, by extrapolation, if there are no docs at all you will sell an
infinite amount of product and thereby achieve world domination.

the prize goes to Bill Swallow for:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. You can answer every
possible question you can think of in the documentation and the stupid
people will still need training, or will think their staff needs
training.

"Money makes the world go 'round" is an incomplete statement; money is
the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it.

Bill also gets bonus points for incorporating one of my favourite
phrases--the short bus. I've also noticed that last line has been
immortalized in a sig line, thereby confirming it as a classic for the
ages.

Snap, crackle, and popily,
Mandy