Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started

Subject: Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:11:17 -0500

k k wrote:

I agree that it would be nice if the monthly credit
card statements told people everything they want to
know. But it is not likely because making it happen
would be more trouble than it is worth to the
companies involved, and it could be done only at a
very high level. I hope this clarifies my meaning on
this thread. This is my assessment of the situation,
not a defense of it.

k k,

I've lost track of who started the bad-UI-design branch of this thread (I'm not accusing you of that or of anything else, either), but I think it's a red herring.

Suppose you bought a suit AND a negligee from the same store. Do you want the store name, the name of the suit manufacturer, the name of the lingerie manufacturer, the item descriptions? Do you want your spouse to know?

I'm not sure there is a single best answer for what information should be included on a credit card statement to satisfy everyone here, but there are plenty of situations where leaving it a bit cryptic provides a certain level of privacy. I think before we accuse the credit card companies and the charge clearing houses of bad design, we ought to consider a variety of use cases. Maybe the design ain't so bad after all, d'ya think? So we come back to the type of back-channel communication that started this thread--a reasonable approach to solving a business problem that can arise with third-party billing of online purchases.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]