Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!

Subject: Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!
From: "SCHUTZ, ME" <me -dot- schutz -at- thermo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:48:16 -0600

David Neeley wrote:
> WHICH merely proves what an artificial and unnecessary distinction it
is!

I must add a hearty "OH DEAR" to Michael West's...

When writers and editors don't know, refuse to find out, and/or ignore
the meaning of the words they use, it denigrates the craft. I am much
amazed at the number of discussions that go on and on with "opinions"
about the meaning of language, without so much as a thought of going to
the dictionary to find the meaning of the word. One would think that
professional writers and editors would have the tools of the trade on
their desks....and use them...regularly!

FROM MW-On-line...a half-second search...
that -
used as a function word to introduce _a restrictive_ relative clause
and
to serve as a substitute within that clause for the substantive modified
by the clause

<the house that Jack built>
<I'll make a ghost of him that lets me -- Shakespeare>

which -
used as a function word to introduce _a nonrestrictive_ relative clause
and
to modify a noun in that clause
and
to refer together with that noun to a word
or word group in a preceding clause
or to an entire preceding clause or sentence
or longer unit of discourse

<in German, which language might... have been the medium of transmission
-- Thomas Pyles> <that this city is a rebellious city...: for which
cause was this city destroyed -- Ezra 4:15 (Authorized Version)>

Mary Ellen Schutz
Sr. Technical Writer
Translation Coordinator
Thermo Electron Corporation