Re: Developing 150-page docs in MS Word XP

Subject: Re: Developing 150-page docs in MS Word XP
From: Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:13:55 -0700

Hi all,

"Guy K. Haas" wrote:

> OK -- we hear testimony that Word (with enough memory) CAN handle a
> 150-page document. I have been using Framemaker (5.6, if anyone cares)
> for 500-page documents. Does OpenOffice/StarOffice offer Master Docs?
> If so, does it work THERE?

OpenOffice.org is compressed XML so the file sizes are about as small as it gets. (OpenOffice.org is the free Microsoft Office-compatible office suite.) I
just created a 1000-page Writer file (the Word equivalent) in OpenOffice.org with styles, tables, bullets, inserted linked spreadsheets, and linked graphics.
File size: 249k. And of course it opened up again without crashing. I've got an 800 mhz machine with 256 MB RAM.

Having the memory to handle a large file isn't an issue in OpenOffice.org because you have to work realllllly hard to get any file over a MB. (Well, you have
to insert rather than linking to the graphics. But that's just a good idea, linking.)

OpenOffice.org and StarOffice also have a master document feature that I like better than Word's. Given the file size of Writer documents, you might or might
not need to use the master docs, depending on what you're creating.

Solveig
solveig -at- getopenoffice -dot- org

OpenOffice.org CDs, Training, Consulting, User's Guides, and Training Materials
http://www.getopenoffice.org
http://www.cafepress.com/getopenoffice

"OpenOffice.org Resource Kit" user's guide and CD
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131407457/qid=1038357128/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5002617-1030536?v=glance&s=books

http://www.informit.com//promotions/promotions.asp?st=%7B92519E35-ACD9-4079-88A2-0049AA661C67%7D#