RE: GoLive vs. DreamWeaver

Subject: RE: GoLive vs. DreamWeaver
To: "'Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com'" <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:13:11 -0500

Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com [mailto:Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com]
> Yes!
>
> We can all hope that Macromedia, known for tools that create
> clean HTML, will kill off the terrible psuedo-WYSIWYG editing
> tools in Robohelp and implement something sensible. Until I
> first worked with Robohelp, I thought that nothing could
> screw up HTML as badly as FrontPage... but I was mistaken.
>
> BTW, using Robohelp to open "clean" HTML files created in
> DreamWeaver automatically adds the "wonderful" Robohelp gunk
> to the code. Yuck!

But why are many people using DreamWeaver as their HTML editor
WITH RoboHelp? What's the point?

If you need RoboHelp in order to create the ToC and Index and
other navigation aids, then you have to bring the "clean" HTML
into RH, don't you? Having done that, you now have gunked HTML.
So, what have you gained by using DreamWeaver in the first
place? We're assuming that you'll be using the same pages
in several releases of a product, as well as (to some extent)
in future products that branch from the current one), so
it's not like it would be a one-way trip from DW to RH. You'd
have to go back and forth many, many times over the life of
a product and its WebHelp.

If RH is NOT needed, then why not use DW exclusively?

I'm using just RH X4.1, because that's what I had when I
started last autumn. The only license in the company for
DreamWeaver is used by our design/web guy... and he's not
leaving for at least another month. I'm angling to inherit
his stuff, but I'm unclear on what I'll use DW for.

I'll have (by then) more than 600 pages of Help, including
two or three hundred conditional pages (meaning that RoboHelp
looks at what condition I've requested and generates a Help
set with or without tagged pages and content). I'm not clear
on what I'll gain, at that point, by switching to DreamWeaver
as my HTML handler/WYSIWYG editor.

/kevin