RE: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: RE: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'Elizabeth O'Shea'" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:23:57 -0500

Hi Elizabeth.

Unfortunately (for me), if I could accurately answer such questions
containing only two paragraphs of context (and be paid to do it), I'd be
long retired by now. ;)

I suggest you read my article to help you start thinking if single-sourcing
is indeed the right solution for you (http://tinyurl.com/yvb4t). Though,
given your source is HTML, there aren't too many formats you can publish to
(though you do have an easy means of satisfying a diverse number of customer
needs with that source format).

So, how do you deliver your documentation? Over the web? As a chm? As an
installed local web of information?

XML is not a wonder elixir. It could work for you, and then again it might
not. It all depends on how you implement it and whether it's OK to do so in
the first place.

To be honest, I have no advice for you other than for you to really think
about what you need. Forget about what you want; that's not important.
Determine your need... The need will make the solution apparent.

Good luck!

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com