RE: It's what It's

Subject: RE: It's what It's
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: <lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:59:16 -0000

Do you think the commas are confusing? And remember: over here people
often use 'which' when you _can_ use 'that'. And it is taught that way,
and is 'correct'. I just think there's a difference between correct
received usage and absolute clarity. And the correct received usage of
'which' where you can also use 'that' can be unclear, because the reader
isn't sure if the clause is defining or non-defining.

Just to keep this tech-writing relevant, I will always advocate using
'which' only with non-defining clauses becaue it's the only
non-ambiguous way to use it in that type of clause. And tech writing
should never be ambiguous.