It's what It's

Subject: It's what It's
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:10:33 -0800

Peter Neilson wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:14:04 -0600, Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com> wrote:

No one seems to be biting today, or perhaps only off-list.
Courier makes me cringe due to it's ugliness.

"It's" makes me cringe, especially when I discover that I, a
self-appointed grammar guru, have used "it's" where I meant
to use "its". (I'm being totally off line about this.)

Let's not get too worked up about this. Writing down the wrong homonym might be a sign of ignorance, but it's more often just a neurological glitch. I had the difference between "there", "their", and "they're" clearly explained to me in second grade. I understood it immediately, and have never had trouble remembering it since. But there's never been a time when I didn't occasionally write down the wrong one. And as I get older, it happens more often.

As with most "incorrect" language, it's not a moral failing. It's one of those mistakes humans make.