RE: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: RE: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: Maritza van den Heuvel <MaritzaV -at- stt-global -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:15:13 +0200

Maritza: Yes, exactly. And the type of objects you can "call" in this way
are manifold, depending on the tool you use.

On a more philosophical note, I was just thinking that language inherently
lends itself to single-sourced information management/documentation
approaches. After all, language uses a limited set of signifiers to refer to
a potentially unlimited pool of signified objects (to take a leaf from De
Saussure's book). In other words, in the English language we have 26 letters
of the alphabet that we recycle and re-use constantly in words, sentences,
paragraphs and yes, ultimately texts. So if information structure is
inseperably entwined with language structure (as some theorists would say),
then single-sourcing is inevitable ...

***
Maritza van den Heuvel
Technical Writer

Software Training Technology (Pty) Limited
http://www.stt-global.com

Al Geist wrote:

Good analogy. If I understand you correctly, single sourcing is much
like developing subroutines except the subroutine that is called from
the main program block is a chunk of text or an image.

Al