Continuous Number Across Word Docs

Subject: Continuous Number Across Word Docs
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Word PC" <word-pc -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:17:05 -0500

To make the page number in one document dependent upon the page number in
another?

For example, I create manuals for a software application for the banking
industry. These manuals are split by "product" type (loans, DDA, et
cetera). However, each products manual has to be split because the combined
document is too large to keep stable in word. I'd like to make the second
portion automatically pick up page numbering where the first portion left
off...

The Word MPV site gives a procedure
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/index.htm) using the page and
includetext field codes, but it hasn't worked in my test docs. When I use
the exact text, I get a syntax error, and I've tried various modifications,
but to no avail.

Is this possible?

TIA!

Jeff Hanvey