Re: resizing gifs

Subject: Re: resizing gifs
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:36:25 -0500

Elizabeth O'Shea wrote:
> I'm sure this is simple, but my archive and Internet search have been
> fruitless.
>
> We have a gif that's 1668 x 545 pixels. We also have the psd of this
> file. I've been asked to resize it to about 330 x 108 pixels. The
> resultilng quality is horrible. I have:
>
> - changed the image size of the gif in Photoshop and saved it as a gif
> - changed the image size of the gif in Photoshop and used the Save for
> Web option to save it as a gif
> - changed the image size of the pds in Photoshop an used the SAve for
> Web option to save it as a gif
> - opened the gif in Illustrator, saved it as ai, resized it, and saved
> it for web.
>
> They all produce horrible quality. Is there any way I can resize this
> image and retain a modicum of quality?

1668/330 = 5.05454545454545454545454545454545

545/108 = 5.0462962962962962962962962962963

If you were an image, would you want to be treated that way?

Dick gave you part of the solution: RGB. The rest is a gazinta problem.

Once you figure out the gazinta you would like, then you must apply the same
gazinta to horizontal and vertical.

You will also need to crop something.

Ed Wurster

http://www.eWurster.com/blog/
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for Computer Systems and Networks
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design