Make pixel shim invisible?

Subject: Make pixel shim invisible?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:57:48 -0500

Lyndsey Amott wonders: <<I need to indent some text on my web site, but <blockquote> and <ul> indent the text too much. So, using Microsoft Paint, I created a transparent gif to use as a pixel shim. The problem is that it is visible on my web page--it looks like a depressed button. How can I make it truly invisible? >>

The elegant way would be to use CSS (cascading style sheets) in your Web authoring software to define the position of the text with respect to the margins of the screen. Somewhat less elegant: Create a two-column table, with the first column defined as the exact number of pixels you want for the indent, then drop the text into the second column.

Even less elegant, yet graphical as in your original approach: color the 1-pixel GIF file the identical color of the background of the page so that it blends in rather than overlying the page. You may also have to futz around with the properties of the GIF, depending on how your authoring software imports it.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca