RE: Where does Documentation belong?

Subject: RE: Where does Documentation belong?
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:59:32 -0800 (PST)

> Not so.
>
> The flavor of the documentation is what the writer
> of the doc makes it.

If it has been your experience that you can work for a
sales type and still keep control of how the docs are
done, congratulations. You've been what I consider
lucky. I, on the other hand, have more than once been
told by superiors in the sales/marketing chain to make
changes in the documentation. Those changes never had
anything to do with technical accuracy or
documentation usability.

I realize that sales/marketing people have some valid
concerns about how documentation is done. They should
be included in reviews. I have no problem with them
having input on issues that matter to them, as long as
it's done through the technical section chain of
command. The problems I've seen came when they had
final say over how the documentation is done. They can
and should have input yes, even influence yes, but
control no.

It is possible for the docs group to be included in
the process of building proposals, and related
business matters, and yet remain under the control of
the technical division. I think it works better that
way.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html