Re: Javadoc resources for tech writers?

Subject: Re: Javadoc resources for tech writers?
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:13:37 -0600

At 2:55 PM -0800 2/5/04, Guy K. Haas wrote:

lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com wrote:

Joyce Fetterman writes:

I'm editing Javadoc that was written by offshore developers. I don't know
Java, so I'm already at a loss, and the translation errors just add to the
confusion.

As far as I remember, Javadoc is not written, rather it is generated in much the same way as a toc in Word or Frame. It picks up some or all of the following:

Not so, Lyndsey--

Programmers (should) embed comments about purpose of class, purpose of method, nature of arguments, etc. THAT's the stuff that needs editing.

That is correct Guy, however, when was the last time that programmers actually did that kind of commenting? It is rare.

Lyndsey,

I recomment getting SAMS Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 days. Going through that book will give you the grounding that you need to add the comments. You may have to fill in what the programmers failed to comment. The meat of why and how the programs are doing what they are doing.