RE: Doing Your Own Art

Subject: RE: Doing Your Own Art
From: "Hughes, Linda" <Linda -dot- Hughes -at- respironics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:29:17 -0500

Mike et al:

If the answers to your post are typical, our two-man (OK, one woman, one man) Tech Pub dept. must be more unusual than I thought. My cohort and I both draw three dimensionally, in perspective, completely freehand. Part in one hand, mouse in the other. I'm good, he's great. We both prefer CorelDraw for this type of drawing, although we can and do use Illustrator. (Necessary disclaimer: many moons ago, in high school, we both considered becoming technical illustrators.)

As others have mentioned, drawing human figures is a whole 'nother subject. We might draw a part...say a head or a hand... but definitely would use clipart for a human figure, even if that meant extensively modifying a vector image.

Someone suggested tracing digital pictures. Yup, have done that too. I've even Xeroxed a part, scanned the copy and traced that. Whatever works. We've also scanned, traced over and modified old, hardcopy artworks we had done by an artist years ago. You might want to go that route: hire a professional, get yourself a good set of base artworks and go from there. Please note that re-use and modification of artwork is a contractual and copyright issue, so that would need to be clearly addressed in the contract.

Computer classes are very helpful. I took a bunch of them at New Horizons. Most classes are only an overview, but the quality of instruction was, IMO, very high. Since those classes also cover a bunch of stuff you won't need, you may want to consider bringing in an instructor to teach classes specifically tailored to your needs.

Mike, feel free to contact me off list. I don't mind helping out the competition! <g>

Linda
Respironics Novametrix, LLC.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message, together with any attachments, may be legally privileged
and is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. It is exempt from
disclosure under applicable law including court orders. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this message, or any attachment,
please notify the original sender and delete this message, along with
any attachments, from your computer.