Re: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"

Subject: Re: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:47:46 -0500

Rachael Lininger writes:

I need to write a report on war dialing and I'm not sure what to call it.

The trouble with "wardial" is that it looks as though it ought to rhyme with cordial. I would go with "war dial", and use the hyphenated version only when it's acting as an adjective.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3