Re: Multiple undo --- XML editors

Subject: Re: Multiple undo --- XML editors
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:32:27 -0800

Laurel Hickey wrote:

I'm interested in anything that would stabalize the working environment
and the amount of time I spend fighting MS Word. What XML editors have
you investigated and what seems to fly best? Final output: database and
pdf (screen-ready for posting on Internet and press-ready for print
publication)

I'm a big fan of XMetal, though it's been a year and a half since I used it.

Pros: simple, easy to use, highly customizable, good WYSIWYG support (as much as any XML editor can claim to be WYSIWYG). Actually, I evaluated seveal XML editors, and this was the only one that seemed targeted at writers and that I really liked.

Cons: since then, it appears to have acquired a bit of bloat, related to .NET support. Plus, it now belongs to Corel, which makes you worry about the product's long-term viability.

As with all XML editors, it is not a complete system. You'll need additional tools to manage your document base, create your deliverables, etc.