Re: getting started with OOo

Subject: Re: getting started with OOo
From: Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:26:52 -0700

>>Someone just posted the following on the Yahoo DCPUBS list:

Hmm. I'll try to track that posting down and clarify.

OpenOffice.org does NOT overwrite file type preferences without asking.

- In versions up through 1.0.x, the installation always asked if you wanted to
switch file associations. The default though is to switch after asking unless
you unmark the checkboxes in the install. People who just click through the
install without reading all the screens are going to have their file associations
changed.

- In the current install, version 1.1, the install continues to ask. However, the
default is only to switch HTML associations to OpenOffice.org. I think that's
kind of an odd choice, but whatever. So people who click right through without
reading all the screens are going to find down the road that doubleclicking an
HTML document opens in OpenOffice.org but that doc, xls, and ppt are going to
remain unchanged.

So in short

>>However, is it possible to install OOo so that it leaves the file type
preferences as they are?

Not only possible but in the latest release that's the default.

Good point to bring up, Dan; in the previous list this was the most-asked
question on the users list, I think.

Solveig
solveig -at- getopenoffice -dot- org

"OpenOffice.org Resource Kit" user's guide and CD, and
free 1.1 PDF update to the Resource Kit at
http://www.informit.com//promotions/promotions.asp?st=%7B92519E35-ACD9-4079-88A2-0049AA661C67%7D#

OpenOffice.org Training, Consulting, User's Guides, and Training Materials
http://www.getopenoffice.org
http://www.cafepress.com/getopenoffice