Re: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....

Subject: Re: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....
From: "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:29:44 -0500 (EST)

I too looked into the Texas Tech on-line Masters program but I then had to put this whole profession into prospective. Very quickly after getting my Bachelors in Professional Writing,I found out you don't need a degree to be a Technical Writer. In fact, I just saw a job posting in Monster yesterday for a Writer here in Houston with pay of between 20-40 an hour and the education level was High School or equivalent. In every place and every field I have worked, I have been the only one with an actual degree in writing. Those that did have degrees were in English or Engineering.

So, unless you plan to use that higher education for management, I don't see how it will help you get a better writing job.