Re: Self-promo in dangerous times

Subject: Re: Self-promo in dangerous times
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:04:28 -0700

Pope John wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with self promotion, in fact, if you
> aren't doing it every day, you are doing yourself a
> mis-service.

> <followed by a lot of concrete examples>

And THAT, folks, is why Posada is King. That post is a keeper.

And for those who shy away from such acts, I can only say TRY IT.

ANY new activity may feel uncomfortable at first, whether you're learning
to promote yourself or learning to rollerblade. To master it, you've got
to practice. Don't write yourself off saying "I could never do that," or
"I feel weird doing that." You're GOING to feel weird, at least at first.
But keep it up, and I think you'll be amazed by the results.

Case in point: Martin Yates' "Knock 'Em Dead" series of job-hunting books
has all kinds of suggestions that seem stilted and cheesy. But a friend I
highly respect RAVED about the book, so I tried some of the techniques.
THEY WORKED. I felt weird as hell saying those cheesy things, but I got
the freakin' job. And I've gotten every job I've interviewed for since.
(Getting the interview is not so easy, but once I overcame that hurdle, I
always got an offer.)

Too many people convince themselves that they are a certain kind of
person, and incapable of change. That's just bull. Change IS possible.
It's always challenging, and often uncomfortable, but it IS possible.

So if the things John suggested sound good to you, but sound like the sort
of thing you'd never dare try, all I can say is: take a dare. Try it. It
won't kill you, and it may significantly improve your situation.

Keith Cronin
the poster child for Plan B