Self-promo in dangerous times

Subject: Self-promo in dangerous times
From: mlist -at- ca -dot- rainbow -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:40:53 -0500

All,

Our company was bought last summer, and the combined company
was bought again, just this month (well, SEC considerations
will stretch the transaction to March, but it's essentially
a done deal).

At the first purchase, the bigger company really, really
wanted us, so it was known (and it turned out) that they
were going to keep us intact... including the tech writer.

The latest purchase was already in the works, before we
were even acquired, so from the perspective of the new-new
owners, we are a little fish that happened to be scooped
up when they bought the bigger fish. There's every indication
that our engineering people are safe (talented, hard-working
innovators that they are). However, the combined company will
have more than a few tech writers, and as you know, we are
inter-changeable. (ahem...)
I'd sorta like to be one of the retainees. :-)

I'm thinking that it's better to ensure retention, rather
than to try to claw my way back from a layoff notice. So,
my dilemma is how to hint at my value to some unknown
decision-maker (in another city, in another country)
in the buying company (both buyer and buyee are publicly
traded). Something short and sweet would be a trade-rag
review of our product that had good things to say about
the documentation. Not totally objective, but at least
it's an evaluation from a disinterested third party.

In my capacity as not-a-political animal, I'm really at
a loss as to how to get the message to the right person
without stirring up a lot of crud that might bury me.

Has anybody dealt with this? How do you even know what
inquiries are safe to make (to locate the decision-makers),
and which might amount to shooting oneself in the foot?
I'm too close to the problem. Tactical and strategic suggestions?

/kevin
(http://www.scmagazine.com/scmagazine/2004_01/test_02/03.html
the 5 stars for doco is all mine, since I'm the lone writer)