Re: Meg vs. MB vs. M

Subject: Re: Meg vs. MB vs. M
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:28:01 +0100

I checked with the
software engineers and they said meg always means megabyte. But then the
hardware engineers said no, when she says 1 Meg Memory, she means 1
million 32-bit words (equal to four megabytes); however, in digital
cameras, it's really 1,024,000 32-bit words. I said OK like I understood
what they were talking about . . .

"Meg" is engineering slang (short for mega-something) and as such, as you have found out, ill-defined. It seems a bad idea to use it, as your customers are bound to have varying ideas of what it means.

I did, by the way, not understand why you cannot use MB, which is reasonably well-defined (although not completly so).

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de