RE: Ur-books

Subject: RE: Ur-books
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:09:24 -0500

TW said:
>I found the answer in the TECHWR-L archives, of all places.
>Credit Andreas Ramos, whose original post appears here:
>http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/9405/techwhirl-9405-00226.htm
l .
>"The prefix 'ur' itself is the name of the city Ur, which German
>archeologists thought for many years to be the oldest city. It is in
the
>Iraqi Tigris/Euphrates area. American bombers successfully flattened
it."

This is awfully late to complain, but the last sentence in that post
from Ramos seems to be a bit of unneeded (and inaccurate) commentary.
The post is dated 1994, where news reports as recent as this past May
indicate that the old city is still standing. In fact if you go here:

http://www.airfieldops.com/IRAQ.htm

Scroll down the page about halfway and you'll find some photos from 2003
that suggest the old Ziggurat seems to be in good shape, and Abraham's
home looks like it is well restored.

(Just offered in the interests of accuracy.)

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA