3-variable modeling

Subject: 3-variable modeling
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:43:27 -0700

Hey there,

I'd like some ideas on displaying three variables on a piece of paper in
such a way that the result is as easy to comprehend as two variables are in
your basic x-y axis graph.

For example, let's say you want to look at the quality of a baseball player,
and the three variables are running, fielding, and hitting. Have any of you
seen a method of displaying this in a way that a reader can intuitively and
quickly discern that Player A is a lousy fielder but great with the bat and
on the bases? That is, the reader can understand this without having to
learn the nuances of this graphic methodology?

Sure, I can just make three vertical (or horizontal) bar graphs, one for
each variable, but there is a certain lack of elegance in such a prosaic
graph. I've thought of the three variables as spokes on a wheel, with the
center as "zero talent" - to continue the baseball example - to the outer
point on a spoke as "Cooperstown talent." Or somehow using color intensity,
or having the z-axis component be the shape or color of the point in a basic
x-y axis.

Perhaps y'all can point me to a resource with different examples.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul Strasser
Ennovation, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 100
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-468-1164
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com