What i want to say, the next post...

Subject: What i want to say, the next post...
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:46:48 -0800

Post on a job site by a recruiter:
"
Our established client in [Location] is in need of a Technical Writer with
extensive
> and current background and experience with WEB/E-Commerce and Unix/Solaris
> expertise. Highly desired would be someone with BEA WEblogic,
WEBMETHODS(required),
> WEblogic Portal experience and Netegrity Single-Sign-on as well.
> Preferrably someone with large company(Fortune 500) experience and
financial industry
> company experience.
> If you are LOCAL and have NO VISA ISSUES , and match the above
requirements
> , please contact me via email with your updated and current resume in a
Word
> document. "

Now I've never done Weblogic (although it was part of the underlying
technology of one product I documented, but never user-facing), but I have
applied at BEA when they've had openeings (never contacted though), so this
is one I wouldn't apply for. Still, there's such a desire to write to tis
recruiter and say simply:

"Uh, are you interested in hiring someone for this position who knows how to
write?"

Or maybe writing skills are required for this "Technical Writer" gig.... :)

One thing does have me curious though: I wonder why "large company (fortune
500) experience" is considered an important requirement.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf