Users writing their own procedures?

Subject: Users writing their own procedures?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, Eileen Neumann <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:43:52 -0500

Eileen Neumann reports: <<I maintain an employee intranet... Another division has decided that they need their procedures to go online as well. As my department doesn't have the resources to start documenting these other procedures from scratch, the powers that be have decided to have an experienced user document the procedures and have me fix them up afterwards. I'm a little miffed at the idea that of course 'anyone' can write down procedures if they know them.>>

It's natural to be a bit worried that they think they can replace you, or that your workload will increase because the others can't write and you'll spend hours rewriting, but I like the fact (see below) that you're looking past this and treating it as an opportunity. So many writers get all snooty and start complaining.

<<However, I also think this might work and save us some time.>>

It might indeed. One advantage the experienced user may have over you is that they actually use the procedures day in and day out. That experience provides powerful insights into how people actually use your software, and you should take advantage of those insights to improve your own documentation. Moreover, you should take the opportunity to introduce yourself to the person who will be doing the writing and start developing a mutually beneficial working relationship.

The downside of having an experienced user produce the documentation? They may not be a very good writer, they may have adopted a particularly idiosyncratic and ineffective way of working, and they may no longer remember what it's like to be a new user. You can be the user advocate if you can help them compensate for these problems.

<<I'm thinking of giving the individual a template and have them write in FrontPage.>>

The disadvantage to that approach is that it makes review and revision harder than need be. If you're using MS Office, suggest that they work in Word, pass the document to you to review, and only subsequently publish it. This both encourages the development of a good working relationship and creates an environment in which collaboration and quality control are seen as important. Well worth striving for imho.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca