How to represent blank (space) characters

Subject: How to represent blank (space) characters
From: Etienne Grosjean <etienneg -at- interlog -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:34:04 -0500

I am describing the different formats of a field.

Some format include blanks (spaces).

The SME uses (on paper) a lower case B with a slash but that character is
not an ASCII character and is not available in Frame.

An example of a format would be:
SBBxxx with:
S being an S
B being a blank (my problem)
x being an hexadecimal digit

In theory, I can use any symbol but I am looking for a common practice
and, if possible, for what IBM uses.