RE: Trademark Possessives

Subject: RE: Trademark Possessives
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'John Posada'" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:01:40 -0800

John,

I think you have it right for the most part. Where this usually gets
confusing is that a trademark is also frequently the name of the company. So
you can talk about the features of Microsoft(r) Word, and also Microsoft's
strategic objectives, but not Microsoft's(r) features. Is there a page we
can link to? That might help figure out whether they are following their own
rules. Word isn't a trademark, so, hrm, I suppose you could write
Microsoft(r) Word's features.

It's also entirely possible that the writers have been using it incorrectly
and the editors didn't catch the error! :-)

Lisa

(Send along some of that good job-huntin' vibe...I got laid off again!)