Re: Re: Writing Costs Worldwide

Subject: Re: Re: Writing Costs Worldwide
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "Jon Leer" <jleer -at- comcast -dot- net>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:22:58 -0500

This is a thread I don't like getting tangled in. That
said, 60 Minutes did a piece on offshoring last Sunday.
Here's a link to the story:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/23/60minutes/main590004.shtml

And, although the piece centered on tech support call
centers rather than tech writers, here's the definition of
peanuts:

"On any given day in New Delhi and Bombay and Bangalore, the call goes out for new call center recruits as more and more American companies come calling. The call center employees earn $3,000 to $5,000 a year, in a nation where the per capita income is less than $500. The perks include free private transport to and from work plus the sheer heaven of an air-conditioned workplace."

-Sue Gallagher

> "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote in message
> news:225248 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> >
> > Jon wrote:
> > Any independent technical writer must be aware of the competition -
> > now not
> > only in the US but elsewhere.
> >

> > -----
> > If you are in a developed country, you cannot compete with offshoring.
> > It just cannot be done. Technical writers in developing countries are
> > paid peanuts. That's why the phenomenon exists.

And Jon Leer asked: